Engineering Graduate Student Timeline
Research and Thesis:
- Choose your Advisor and Advisory Committee.
- Submit a Thesis Proposal (Sample
- As you find journal articles for references, check
for issue numbers and journal abbreviations (CASSI software
on a CD-ROM workstation in Reference area of Scholes Library).
- Build an Endnote file to manage your references (software
available on the jobs server (contact the Engineering and Science
Librarian for details)
- Use the following as guides for the
prescribed thesis format:
For Ph.D. Candidates: Ph.D. Quailifier examination
should be taken by the second semester of the program (Guidelines).
Pre Oral Defense
- Thesis draft goes to Thesis Committee Members
with the Thesis Review Form. Allow
committee two (M.S.)/three (Ph.D.) weeks for review, and send a copy
to Emilie Carney for format
- Submit a thesis draft to Emilie Carney in
the Graduate Office for format review. Obtain a signed Acceptance Form
after your thesis formatting passes review.
- Submit an application for Graduation
and at Student Service Center in Seidlin Hall).
- Set up a time and date for your Thesis Defense,
checking dates with Committee Members, and Chair (Director of Graduate
- Notify the Graduate Office (Emilie Carney)
of time and date of the Defense and submit two thesis copies for display
(one copy in the Graduate Office and one copy in the Engineering Office).
Theses must be on display one week for Masters, and two weeks for Ph.D.
- Take the format Acceptance form to Seidlin
Hall to pay the fee for binding:
a) Masters - $32
- This fee includes binding for the four mandatory copies,
one copy for you, one for your advisor and two for the library.
b) Ph.D. - $98
- The doctoral thesis includes binding of the four mandatory
copies (see Masters) plus publication of the abstract in Dissertations
Abstracts and transformation to microfiche.
c) Other fees
- Additional copies - $16 per copy
- Postage Domestic - $6 per copy
- Postage International - $50 per copy
- Copyright - $45 (UMI will register your copyright
for you - Ph.D. only)
- Have the following ready at your Defense:
- Four (or more) signature pages on thesis
quality paper signed by you and your thesis committee members.
- Four copies of your thesis (display copies
may be used)
- Format Acceptance Form
Post Oral Defense
- Print thesis copies on quality paper (cotton
content - at least 25%, acid-free, 20-24 lb wt). Acceptable paper is
available at the AU Bookstore. If the label does not have "acid-free",
assume that it isn't. The library copies must be original printing.
If color is used, all mandated copies must be color. Some color copying
may be done at ITS (10 pages). Color copying may also be done at Office
Services in Greene Hall ($.60/page). Call x2698 (Frank DiRaimondo) for
a quote for large copying jobs.
- Submit thesis copies (paper and electronic)
with completed signature pages, format acceptance form, blue circulation
slip (see below), Business Office receipt and Copy Rights form to Emilie
Carney to complete the requirements for your degree. Forms will be given
to you upon completion of the format review.
- Ph.D candidates need to submit a Proquest UMI form
also, supplying keywords for an abstract search in Dissertation Abstracts.
- Return all Library books within 24 hours after
your defense. Circulation personnel will certify a cleared account (blue
slip of paper). Note that your library card will subsequently be deactivated.
Looking for a job? Check out these tips.